Thursday 1 November 2012

Coaches Corner: Gymnastike's Technique Tuesdays

I have been a gymnastics coach for around 4 years and in my time I have coached both rec and competitive. An ex-gymnast myself, I have come to realise that coaching is an excellent way to stay involved in the sport. It can be challenging and frustrating some days, especially when the kids become tired. But then there are those moments when a kid learns a new skill or does really well in a competition, and you know all of that hard work has paid off. And it's the best feeling ever!


The hardest part for me is coming up with drills that will help with new skills and techniques such as; kips, powerful vaulting, roundolfs and flic-flacs (back handsprings). There are many useful resources on the gymternet which give coaches like me great ideas. An example are the 'Technique Tuesdays' which can be found at gymnastike. Highly trained coaches give advice on specific skills across a range of levels (eg. good handstand---> Tchatchev drills) and for both competitive and recreational gymnasts. I seriously recommend checking them out if you haven't already!

 http://www.gymnastike.org/page/Technique-Videos

I often find that the equipment used is quite high tech and expensive, but many drills are adaptable!

Article by Imogen Browne (@ImogenMireille)

No comments:

Post a Comment